A NEW PARADIGM
in knee bracing
Levitation is the only knee brace capable of simultaneously unloading all three compartments of the knee during weight-bearing flexion 1– Budarick, A.R. et al. 2020. J. Biomech. Eng. 142.
– Bishop, E.L. et al. 2020. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 28 . Research has shown that Levitation can immediately reduce tibiofemoral and patellofemoral joint loads by up to 50%2– Budarick, A.R. et al. 2020. J. Biomech. Eng. 142.
– McGibbon, C.A. et al. 2020. Submitted to the Journal of Biomechanical Engineering. .
Treatment guidelines recommend reducing joint load through strategies such as weight loss3– Zhang et al. 2008. Osteo & Cartl 16
– Bannuru et al. 2019. Osteo & Cartl 27(11), which can be difficult to achieve for patients. Levitation can reduce knee joint load to a level achieved by losing 45 lbs of body weight4– Budarick, A.R. et al. 2020. J. Biomech. Eng. 142.
– McGibbon, C.A. et al. 2020. Submitted to the Journal of Biomechanical Engineering. , reducing pain and allowing increased physical activity.
Research shows rapid improvements in pain, function, and quality of life with reduced dependence on pain medication. In fact, 95% of knee OA patients report reduced pain, 85% report improved function, 70% report increased physical activity, and 60% report reduced reliance on other treatments5– Budarick et al. 2020. Submitted to Journal of Prosthetics and Orthotics.
PATIENT-CENTRED DESIGN EXEMPLIFIED.
DESIGNED FOR ALL KNEE OA PATIENTS
Levitation is designed to meet the needs of all knee OA patients, and uniquely those who exhibit multicompartmental or patellofemoral disease.
FOCUSED ON THE GREATEST IMPACT
– Duncan et al. 2006 Rheumatology 45 which cannot be effectively treated with traditional uni-compartment offloader knee braces. Only a small fraction of knee OA patients have arthritis restricted to a single tibiofemoral compartment 7– Hart et al. 2017. BJ Sport Med. 51(16)
– Duncan et al. 2006. Rheumatology 45
– Heekin et al. 2014. J. Knee Surgery 27.
INDICATIONS FOR USE
- Patellofemoral knee OA
- Multicompartmental knee OA
- Pain that increases during weight-bearing flexion
- Quadriceps tendon deficiency
- Patellar tendon deficiency
- Quadriceps injury/weakness
of users with knee osteoarthritis report reduced pain since using a Spring Loaded knee brace
Up to 50% reduction in joint load across the whole knee (patellofemoral and tibiofemoral compartments)
of users with knee osteoarthritis report improved mobility since using a Spring Loaded knee brace
Clinical Best Practice ACComplished.
Levitation reduces joint load equivalent to the loss of 45lb of bodyweight8Budarick, A.R., et al. 2020. J. Biomech. Eng. 142 . Joint load reduction alleviates pain and improves function, and is widely considered a clinical best practice in the conservative treatment of knee OA. Ultimately, reducing joint loads increases the frequency and duration that patients are able to stay active9– McAlindon TE, et al. 2014. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 22(3)
– Jevsevar DS 2013. 2nd edition. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 21(9).
LEVITATION SAFELY UNLOADS ALL THREE KNEE COMPARTMENTS SIMULTANEOUSLY
Traditional OA braces are restricted to offloading one tibiofemoral compartment10– Budarick, A.R. et al. 2020. J. Biomech. Eng. 142.
– Bishop, E.L. et al. 2020. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 28
– McGibbon, C.A. et al. 2020 Submitted to the Journal of Biomechanical Engineering.
Is Levitation right for your patient?
Levitation reduces joint loads, reduces pain, and improves function, including during activities of daily living such as:
ASCENDING OR DESCENDING STAIRS
SQUATTING, CROUCHING & OTHER PHYSICAL ACTIVITY
Knee extension assist amplified.
– McGibbon, C.A. et al. 2020. Submitted to the Journal of Biomechanical Engineering.
JOINT UNLOADING WHEN IT COUNTS
Unlike traditional knee OA braces, Levitation’s knee extension assist provides pain relief and joint unloading during knee flexion12– Budarick, A.R. et al. 2020. J. Biomech. Eng. 142
– Bishop, E.L. et al. 2020. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 28
– McGibbon, C.A. et al. 2020. Submitted to the Journal of Biomechanical Engineering. This is particularly useful for patients with patellofemoral defects or OA. Levitation directly assists quadriceps strength and mobility13– Bishop, E.L. et al. 2020. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 28
– McGibbon, C.A. et al. 2020. Submitted to the Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, allowing for neuromuscular retraining14– Cherian JJ. et al. 2015. J Arthroplasty 30(5).
During physical testing of healthy individuals by the Canadian Military, Levitation significantly increased physical stamina and endurance as follows:
- A 10% improvement in the maximum number of loaded squats
- A 26% improvement in the maximum number of loaded leg presses
- No change in heart rate when walking with versus without the TCU.
Is Levitation right for your patient
Levitation goes beyond standard uni-compartment offloading to address disease and contact forces across the entire knee.
conservative care enhanced.
Levitation provides a novel evidence-based modality to improve patient outcomes and satisfaction throughout the course of their care.
GUARANTEED LIFE CHANGING RESULTS
If Levitation doesn’t fundamentally change your patient’s life and offer clear clinical benefits within the first 30 days, we’ll send them a prepaid return shipping label and issue a full refund. There are no hidden fees or surprises *Some terms and conditions apply. We also offer full support and a comprehensive product warranty ensuring your patient’s are well taken care of, every step of the way.
WE OPTIMIZE PATIENT ACCESS
Our braces are covered by most insurance providers across Canada and the United States. Spring Loaded offers full support to help ensure positive coverage decisions. Contact a bracing specialist to inquire further about reimbursement eligibility.
Spring Loaded is committed to an evidence-based approach to product development and testing. Our research partners have provided invaluable insight to inform our design process, and are conducting independent testing and validation of our existing and future products for a wide range of different indications and use cases.
Dr. Ivan Wong and Dr. Emily Bishop: New Treatments for Anterior Knee Pain and Knee OA during COVID-19.
Spring Loaded presents an overview of state-of-the-art treatment modalities for anterior knee pain and OA during COVID-19 and beyond.
Dr. Emily Bishop presents Levitation research findings at the 2020 AOPA National Assembly
In this recorded session, Dr. Bishop discusses research findings on Levitation’s assistive moment and effect on pain.